This post is specifically for the many talented authors entering Pitch Wars this year. I'm so excited to be a Pitch Wars mentor for the first time ever. I'm only accepting middle grade entries. But I can't wait to read them!
I spent more than a decade as an aspiring author before finally getting an agent in 2009. My first book, 30 Days of No Gossip, debuted in 2014, followed by my second book, 25 Roses. In August, my third middle grade will debut--a novel I co-wrote with six other authors called Best. Night. Ever. I also write the Piper Morgan chapter book series. In addition to writing children's books, I'm also a freelance branded content writer, so basically I write all the time. I worked in information technology for 13 years before leaving to be a full-time writer.
What I'm Looking For:
- Fun contemporaries--I'm a sucker for a girly-girl heroine who loves fashion and hanging out with friends.
- Comedies--I don't have to laugh out loud (although that would be great), but a fun, lighthearted read gets me every time.
- Spooky tales--I live for spooky stories, especially if they involve ghosts.
- Magical realism--Contemporary stories with magical elements also draw me in.
- Suspense/mysteries--When I read adult books, I love Gone Girl-type suspense novels. I'd love to see a more innocent version of this in a middle-grade format.
Here are some of my favorite middle grade books: